Connect with us

Привет, что-то ищете?

The Times On Ru
  1. The Times On RU
  2. /
  3. Новости
  4. /
  5. UK slashes aid to Yemen as ex-minister warns it will ..

Новости

UK slashes aid to Yemen as ex-minister warns it will abandon children to starvation

Displaced people get food rations ahead of a donors conference on Yemen humanitarian crisis

Credit: Shutterstock 

Boris Johnson has been accused by a former Tory minister of condemning “hundreds of thousands of children to starvation” after the Government slashed aid funding to war-torn Yemen by half.

Andrew Mitchell, a Tory MP and the former international development secretary, said the cut from £160m in 2020 to around £87m this year was an "unimaginable decision." 

Former Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt joined the criticism and said he was “deeply disappointed” at the decision. He added that the “timing is inexplicable with the UN warning only last week that Yemen faces the worst famine the world has seen for decades.”

The funding cuts were announced by James Cleverly, a UK foreign office minister, during a UN donor conference on Monday afternoon.

But Mr Mitchell, in an unusually strong rebuke from a former Tory minister, accused the Government of shirking its duties as a world leader.

“Britain is the lead country at the UN on Yemen, yet this decision will condemn hundreds of thousands of children to starvation,” he said.

He added that the funding cut was a breach of the Conservatives’ manifesto pledge to maintain spending 0.7 per cent of gross national income on aid.

The conflict in Yemen, between the Saudi-led Coalition supporting the beleaguered Yemeni government and Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, has killed 130,000 people since 2014 and created the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

The move to slash funding has been criticised by human rights groups, including Save the Children, which said it had confirmed their “worst fears.”

“In September last year, the UK announced a global Call to Action to avert famine. Six months later, it is slashing aid to a country on the verge of the largest famine the world has seen in decades,” said Kevin Watkins, the CEO of Save the Children.  

“Global Britain should be standing up for the 400,000 children under five who might starve to death in Yemen this year, not abandoning them in their hour of greatest need,” he added.

Jean-Michel Grand, executive director of Action Against Hunger UK, said: "We are shocked and appalled by the UK’s decision to slash aid to Yemen.

“Diplomacy alone will not pay doctors salaries or provide life-saving malnutrition treatment for the countless children facing starvation.”

But a spokesman for the Government defended the policy, insisting that the UK “remains steadfast in our support to Yemeni people as one of the biggest donors of lifesaving aid and through our diplomatic efforts to bring peace.”

Оставить комментарий

Leave a Reply

Ваш адрес email не будет опубликован. Обязательные поля помечены *

Стоит Посмотреть

Стоит Посмотреть

Новости По Дате

Март 2021
Пн Вт Ср Чт Пт Сб Вс
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Вам может быть интересно:

Общество

ХАБАРОВСК, 6 мар. Преступная группа из шести человек с более чем 330 килограммами черной икры на сумму свыше 3,4 миллионов рублей задержана в Комсомольске-на-Амуре,...

Авто

Компания Chery начала активную подготовку к старту «живых» продаж рестайлинговой четырехдверки. Модель изменилась снаружи и внутри, технику же реформы не затронули. В Китае прием...

Политика

Полковник Уилкерсон: Киев может нарушить договоренности о прекращении огня Фото: pixabay.com Экс-глава аппарата госсекретаря Соединенных Штатов Америки Лоуренс Уилкерсон в эфире YouTube-канала Dialogue Works...

Технологии

Бывший агент ЦРУ утверждает о наличии странных доказательств существования в прошлом жизни на Красной планете Бывший агент ЦРУ утверждает о наличии у него «доказательств»,...