People gather to lay flowers in memory of the victims of stabbings in Annecy, France Photo: OLIVIER CHASSIGNOLE/AFP
Syrian refugee suspected of The stabbing of six people, including four young children, in the French city of Annecy was charged with “attempted murder,” prosecutors said on Saturday.
The suspect, named Abdalmasih H., “did not want to talk” during the 48 hours he spent in police custody or before the investigating magistrates, prosecutor Line Bonnet-Mathis said at a press conference, adding that the victims were no longer in prison. . life-threatening condition.
Children aged 22 months to three remain in the hospital.
The six victims came from four different countries: the UK, France, the Netherlands and Portugal.The suspect, a 31-year-old Syrian political refugee with Swedish permanent resident status, has a three-year-old daughter and wife living in Sweden, prosecutors said.
He was examined by psychiatrists who deemed him fit to face charges, the prosecutor said. She said the motive for the brutal attack remains unclear, but does not appear to be related to terrorism.
Witnesses say they heard the attacker mention his daughter, wife and Jesus Christ, according to the prosecutor. , who said he had Christian items with him at the time of the attack.
Police detained a suspect in a lakeside park in the city of Annecy after passersby – including a Catholic pilgrim who repeatedly brandished his attacker with his backpack – tried to restrain him.
French President Emmanuel Macron visited the victims and their families on Friday.
Mr Macron said the two young French cousins were the most critical of the victims stabilized and the doctors were “very confident”.
The wounded British girl “doesn't sleep, she watches TV,” Macron added. The injured Dutch girl's condition has also improved, Macron said, and a critically ill adult who was stabbed and shot by police while apprehending an attack suspect is regaining consciousness.
A badly injured adult was treated in Annecy. The Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that he was Portuguese and “now out of danger”. He was injured while “trying to stop the attacker from escaping the police,” the report said. The second injured adult was discharged from the hospital with his left elbow bandaged.
The pilgrim, Henri, a 24-year-old man on a nine-month hike and hitchhike tour of France's cathedrals, said he was already on his way to another abbey when horror unfolded before him. The attacker hit him, but Henri resisted and used the heavy backpack he was carrying to swing at the attacker.
Henri's father said that his son “told me that the Syrian was incoherent, saying a lot of strange things in different languages referring to his father, his mother, all the gods.”
The suspect's profile has sparked renewed criticism of France's migration policy. The suspect entered France legally because he has the status of a permanent resident of Sweden. Sweden and France are both members of the EU and the European Borderless Area.
Last year, he applied for asylum in France, but a few days before the attack, he was denied on the grounds that he had already won asylum in France. Sweden in 2013, said the French Interior Minister.